Northop

Community Council


Representing the Wards of

Northop and Sychdyn

Home Landmarks Council Meetings Information News, Links and Contacts Heritage Trail Area Map

The Edith Bankes Memorial Hall was erected by the late Sir John Eldon Bankes in memory of his wife in 1932.


The grounds & the building were conveyed to the Northop Parish Council upon trust for use by the residents of Northop.

Over the years the Hall has had many uses for meetings, sport, song & dance. The hall has recently been refurbished and is still regularly used. It is an important part of our village.

The Hall has been used in the past as a magistrates court and doctors’ surgery. Today it is used by the playgroup, toddlers, WI, the youth club, brownies and guides, as a polling station and as the venue for the annual Northop Pantomime as well as much more!

The Hall can be hired for meetings or events - for more information contact.

Mrs. Rosemary Jones

c/o Brookfield

Nr Mold, CH7 6BQ.  Tel. 07736 625853. Email: robertmackey@btinternet.com


Address: High Street, Northop, CH7 6BO.

Venue Description: Main hall. Back room. Library.

160 chairs, 20 tables, Kitchen, Toilets, inc facilities for disabled, Parking.


EDITH BANKES MEMORIAL HALL

SOUGHTON HALL

Soughton Hall was built as a Bishop's Palace in 1714, and has been home to a succession of heirs in the Wynne-Bankes family line.

Distinguished residents have included a Bishop, two knights, three High Sheriffs, a Chaplin to Queen Victoria, a Lord Chief Justice, a Lord Chancellor's secretary and in William John Bankes, one of the greatest travellers and collectors of the early nineteenth century.

It was William John who was responsible for re-working Soughton Hall in the 1820s. Inspired by his adventures in the Middle East he added the mullioned windows, the first floor drawing room and dining room and the Islamic turrets upon the court walls. His plans were drawn by fellow traveller Charles Barry, later Sir Charles Barry, architect of the British Houses Of Parliament.

When it was purchased by the Rodenhurst family in 1987 the Hall required extensive refurbishment to return it to it’s former glory. John and Rosemary Rodenhurst managed much of the work personally as well as raising their family. Rosemary’s interior design expertise were put to the test again in early 2007 when all the public areas were restored with all decadence and splendour this historic building deserves.

Soughton Hall Hotel

Sychdyn Memorial Hall

Venue Address: Main Road, Sychdyn,

Venue Postcode:

Venue Phone:

Contact Name: Liza Massey

Contact Phone: (01352) 758146

Venue Description:

Hall: 22yds x 7yds approx. Lounge: 7yds x 9yds approx. Committee Room: 5yds x 9yds approx.

Kitchen, tea/coffee making and toilets.

Main Hall: £11.00 per hour. Lounge: £8.40 per hour. Committee Room: £5.50 per hour. Whole Premises: £17.30 per hour.

Venue Capacity: 120.

Disabled Facilities: Disabled toilets and access.

Availability: 6.00am – 12.00pm.

SYCHDYN MEMORIAL HALL

The Sychdyn War Memorial takes the form of a stone gateway and commemorates those local men who died in World War I.  


View more information about the inscriptions on the War Memorial.


www.flintshirewarmemorials.com